Did you know that a standard homeowners insurance policy may not cover problems arising from a poorly maintained home? A home maintenance program will safeguard your home against these risks. Here is a selection of tips from our Hilb Group NE – OPI team to keep your home well maintained and in compliance with a typical homeowners insurance policy
- Check your roof regularly for missing or damaged shingles. A regular roof inspection can help avoid costly water damage from roof leaks.
- Make sure that the sump pump in your basement is working correctly, check regularly and consider installing a battery back up in case of prolonged power outage.
- Regularly clean and maintain your home’s gutters and downspouts. Water seepage can cause damage to walls and cracks in the foundation.
- Termites can cause significant structural damage to your home and are not covered by homeowners insurance. Have your home professionally inspected on a regular basis, and treated immediately at the first sign of any termites.
- Old or poorly maintained pipes and plumbing can cause water damage to your home. Carefully check for any cracks are damage to your pipes regularly. It is essential that you familiarize yourself where the central water shut off is in your home. In case of a burst pipe or damaged hose, it is imperative that you shut the water off immediately.
- If you have a deck on your home, make sure you regularly inspect its structure. Older decks can buckle and collapse if not properly maintained. Poorly maintained decks can be hazardous, especially if there are a lot of people on the structure.
- The application of caulk is a great way to prevent water damage from leaky windows and doors and will also insulate your house. It is inexpensive and convenient. Caulking window and door frames can help keep your home watertight, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Clean out your dryer’s lint trap and the exhaust duct regularly. When lint builds up in these areas, there is the potential for fire; this is an easily preventable catastrophe.
- Inadequately maintained chimneys are one of the most common causes of structure fires. Have your chimney cleaned and inspected each year to prevent the possibility of a deadly and costly fire in your home.
Homeowners insurance is designed to protect you from disasters that impact your home but you are expected to properly maintain your home. Neglectful home maintenance may lead to wear and tear that can potentially lead to bigger problems that may not be covered by your policy.
Your home is a significant investment. Continuously maintain and protect this investment with these easy and cost-effective tips.
Our team at Hilb Group NE – OPI is always available to provide cost savings advice as well as ways to reduce your risk for damage or loss.